The moon belongs to everyone…the best things in life are free.
That line is from the song, The Best Things in Life Are Free, which was written in 1927 for the musical, Good News. I wrote it down a few weeks ago when I was watching an episode of Mad Men in which the ghost of one of the characters, Bert Cooper, sings the song and dances in front of Don Draper. It’s one of the most memorable scenes from the series. You can see the clip from Mad Men here.While I was on vacation this week, I was reminded of it.
We were in Cancun for Spring Break, and every night, the moon was glorious over the water!
Years ago, my parents lived near Mobile, Alabama. I live in Charlotte now and lived here then too, but whenever there was a beautiful moon high in the sky, Daddy would call me and tell me to walk outside and look at the moon. We would talk on the phone while staring at the exact same object while we were hundreds of miles apart.
Daddy died in October of 2006. That night, as I drove from my parents’ home to our bayside condo, I looked up at the moon in the sky and thought, “Daddy will never see the moon again. He won’t be here to see anything that happens after this date.” It made me sad to think about that, but it was also comforting to know that every time I looked at the moon, I would think of him.
After Daddy died, my brother started referring to a big, full moon as Big Ken’s Moon. Both our parents are gone now, but every now and then, my brother will send me a picture of the moon high in the sky, and I know he and I are thinking of Daddy at that same moment.
When my brother was helping with cleanup efforts after a tornado wreaked havoc on his town in Alabama, he sent me a picture of the moon in the background while they were working. I knew what he was thinking…Daddy was with him in spirit.
Yes, the moon does belong to everyone, and yes, the best things in life are free….including that moon. You know some more great things in life that are free?
- Sunshine. Yep, it’s free. It warms us up and helps flowers grow…and it’s free!
- Love…also free. I love my family and friends, and I expect nothing in exchange for that love. It’s free.
- Faith. Faith is free. I won’t get into the meaning of faith, but if you have it, you know you have it…and it’s free.
- Rainbows. Also free. Walk outside after a storm. Sometimes you’ll find a rainbow. God’s promise…it’s free.
- Laughter…free. Nothing makes me feel better than laughter. Having a good laugh is “the best medicine,” and that medicine is free.
- Hugs…hugs are free, and somewhere I read that hugs help lower blood pressure and decrease stress.
There are lots more great things in life that are free. Get out there and enjoy some free stuff. I’ll be looking for the moon.