Mom, let’s get ready for the beach.
Come on, Moms. We know we do everything to prepare for a beach trip. Sure, the hubby fills up the car and loads it, but we do all the preparation. Everybody counts on us, as moms, to be prepared to help everyone have fun and stay safe. Memorial Day is just around the corner (May 29!), so let’s be prepared!
Our little family just returned home from a few days in the Bahamas, so I’m going to share with you some items that made our trip more fun and some things that kept us safe.
- Snorkel gear. In our family, snorkel gear is a must for any beach vacation. My husband checks a whole separate bag on airlines with our snorkel gear! If your family doesn’t snorkel, maybe they should try it. It’s a fun activity that can be enjoyed by almost anyone who can swim. Obviously, for little kids, you be the judge of their ability…maybe even use life preservers. To see my favorite snorkel gear, click here. Or to shop other snorkel gear on Amazon, click here.
- Shark Banz. Afraid of sharks when you’re in the water? Try wearing Shark Banz, a magnetic shark repellant band that you wear on an ankle, a wrist, or both, if you want extra protection (like me)! I have watched videos in which it appears they work at repelling sharks. Our family uses them for peace of mind, because I am terrified of sharks. They’re not cheap, but we consider it money well spent. Purchase them here.
- OFF! or other insect repellent. Warm climates breed biting insects. I never go to the beach area or an island without insect repellent. I don’t usually have to use it during the day, but if I want to sit outdoors for dinner or just for stargazing at night, I definitely need insect repellent. When traveling by plane, I like to take OFF! Deep Woods Wipes, because they won’t leak all over my suitcase. They contain DEET, the main ingredient for repelling serious insects. Purchase them here. For car trips, I don’t mind taking aerosol cans of OFF! Deep Woods, which you can purchase here.
- SkyGuide app. If you’re visiting a big resort, the night sky might not be so visible, but at quieter beach areas, the night sky can be amazing! If you have the SkyGuide app on your phone, you can spot constellations, planets, and even passing satellites.
- First aid kit. You never know when you’ll need items from a First Aid kit, but on vacation, we all tend to spend more time outsdoors, and it seems things always happen. You can purchase a first aid kit from Amazon here. Personally, I always add stomach meds, pain meds, and anything else I can think of!
- Reef Water Vista Sandal. These are super cute beach sandals, and they come in lots of colors. They’re $60, but they get great reviews. Purchase here.
- Water shoes or Crocs. There are lots of options for water shoes! Check out some on Amazon here. They can totally save your balance and your feet on rocks and in the water. Lots of people love Crocs for water shoes too. Crocs aren’t just the old-style Crocs anymore…they have slides, all-terrain sandals, platform sandals and slides, and more! Order from Amazon Prime and get free shipping. See Crocs on Amazon here.
- Sunscreen. Every beach vacation needs sunscreen. We like to have different types with us. When I want more coverage, I go with Coppertone, because it smells like childhood, but I never use the sprays…the alcohol in them dries out my skin. Check their lotions here. I also love Sun Bum lotions. See them here. But an old-school favorite is Hawaiian Tropic oils, because they make my skin feel good, and I love the aroma too. See their oils here.
- Aloe/after sun. Gotta have these for those days we get too much sun. It has happened to the best of us. There are lots of different brands. I prefer Sun Bum or Hawaiian Tropic, but see lots of offerings at Amazon here.
- Jellyfish Sting Relief. If you’re in any danger of encountering jellyfish, having a sting relief kit can be a big help! Get one from Amazon here.
Those are just a few of my tips for having a fun and safe beach vacation. Enjoy the summer safely!