Halloween is officially over, so we can start thinking about Christmas. I know…Thanksgiving comes first, but I like to have all my shopping done before Thanksgiving, if at all possible. If you’ve always been a procrastinator, this could be the year you change the way you operate!
First, let me say I always recommend you shop local every opportunity you have. In Charlotte, there are lots of locally-owned shops and boutiques: The Buttercup, Boem, Capitol, Ivy and Leo, KK Bloom, Sloan, McKenzie Claire, Five One Five, Beads Inc, and more. In Memphis, for jewelry, shop Mednikow’s! In Fairhope, Alabama, shop Corner Copia Gardens and Gifts. And if you have other suggestions for local shops and boutiques in different cities, please leave the info in the comments!
In my opinion, gifting is difficult. I have friends and family I love, but I still have great difficulty finding the perfect gifts for them, so I’m compiling my lists for this year and sharing them with you!
On with the show…
- Rebecca Minkoff Julian backpack. I’ve never been a “backpack” kind of person, but this year, I have one on my list. I’ve always liked Rebecca Minkoff accessories. They’re not high end, but they’re great quality, and the leather is always super soft. The Julian backpack is offered in several different colors of leather, and it’s also offered in several colors/designs in nylon…and a leopard print calf-hair! I’m adding the black leather one ($295) to my Christmas list, but I also want the nylon camouflage ($145) one. If you have an Auburn, Florida, Tennessee, or Clemson fan on your shopping list, there’s also an orange nylon one on sale at Nordstrom right now for $74. Shop Rebecca Minkoff at Nordstrom here.
- Rent the Runway Gift Card. I’ve been slow to jump on the Rent the Runway bandwagon. Rent the Runway is a rental site for women’s clothing and accessories. I have lots of friends who have turned to Rent the Runway when they needed a dress for a special occasion, and they’ve loved it. Again, I’ve been slow to jump on the bandwagon, because I’m short…and things don’t always fit me without alterations. Recently though, I had lunch with my cousin who told me she loves Rent the Runway and suggested I try it. So I did. And guess what? I’m totally hooked! You can rent individual pieces, or you can join with a membership. I decided to try the “unlimited” membership for a month or two, and I absolutely love it! I’m having clothes shipped to my house, and when I’m done, I ship them back for free! My wardrobe has taken a giant step up! The site offers customer reviews and even photos of different customers wearing different items. Therefore, I recommend giving your fashion-forward friend a gift card to Rent the Runway. She can decide if she wants to rent a few pieces, or if she wants a membership. See it here.
- Faux Fur Pull-through Scarf. Nobody loves faux fur like I love faux fur. In fact, I spend way too much of my downtime searching “faux fur” on various websites, just to see what types of coats and accessories are out there! I’ve always been a fan of the faux fur pull-through scarf, and this year, I love the ones offered by Surrell at Neiman Marcus. Priced at $85, there are several different colors from which to choose, and they will keep your friend or family member fashionable and warm throughout the winter. My personal favorite is the wine-colored scarf. Get them at Neiman Marcus here. And if you order online, don’t forget to have them send it gift-wrapped. Neiman Marcus gift boxes with beautiful bows always look pretty under the tree. ASOS.com also offers a lot of faux fur accessories. One I love is made by River Island and is only $19! It’s a longline fur scarf in multicolor. You can see it here. And what an awesome price! You can see it here.here.
- Big O Key Rings. Another item that is back from the 70s and 80s is the big, circular key ring. My mother had one back in the day. It was easy to find the giant key ring in her handbag, but if she didn’t want to carry a bag, she could wear her keys on her wrist. My daughter recently got her driver’s license, and as soon as she did, she wanted one of these key rings. Priced at $54.95 at Swoozie’s, they come in a variety of colors and patterns, and they make a great gift. Get them here.
- Big O Clear Bracelet Bag. These make great gifts for folks who love to go to sporting events. At most arenas and stadiums now, large handbags are not permitted, but clear bags are. This small bags will carry identification, credit cards, lipgloss…all the essentials, and you still stay hands free by slipping the ring over your wrist! Get this for the woman who loves sports! Made of leather and PVC, this item is priced at $75.95. You can get it here.
- Longchamp XL Le Pliage Travel Bag. I like to travel. And I like to shop. When I was younger, I would often go shopping on trips, and when it was time to fly home, I couldn’t get everything into my luggage without a major struggle. Those days are gone. Now, I just pack my Longchamp Weekender into my checked bag, so when it’s time to come home, I can put all my new stuff in the Weekender as a carry on, or I can even check it with no problem. Priced at $155, it’s a bargain. Purchase direct from Longchamp here.
- Brooches. I know, your first thought it, “Brooches?!? That’s something my mother/grandmother wore!” Well, they’re back. Someone gave me a lovely bee brooch as a gift last year, and I’ve been obsessed with brooches since. I have found lovely brooches in lots of different places and in lots of different price ranges. What’s so great about a brooch? Well, you can add it to a jacket, dress, blouse, or sweater, and immediately, you’ve added a little something special to your ensemble. Here are some I love:
***To see last year’s list of women’s accessories gifts, click here. You might find more inspiration!***